Movie Monday- The Shop Around the Corner

Holiday inn#252

Today is the last Christmas Movie Monday for a whole year! This one isn’t particularly a Christmas movie, but has a subtle Christmas theme throughout. It’s a winner for me, because my love, Jimmy Stewart, stars opposite of his real-life crush, Margaret Sullavan. If you’re familiar with You’ve Got Mail, you will find this original version quite charming.

Holiday inn#246

Holiday inn#239

The two characters work at the same shop in Budapest, arguing and making each other’s lives a struggle. When he arranges to meet his “dear friend” at a cafe, James’s character discovers that his coworker is actually his secret pen pal, but all the while he antagonizes her and does not reveal the truth.

Holiday inn#242

Holiday inn#250

Slowly he convinces her that her “dear friend” is a fat, greedy man who steals his romantic lines from classic poetry. It’s a fun story that is both humorous and touching. A great holiday film for those who are tired of Santa themes and Christmas miracles.

Holiday inn#258

Holiday inn#260

The movie was adapted in the 1940s with Van Johnson and Judy Garland in the classic In the Good Old Summertime, and most recently put to film with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks in the 1990s movie You’ve Got Mail. In my opinion, this version is the most charming… though that might have more to do with Jimmy’s appearance throughout than quality acting or stellar stage sets. Still, it’s a great family movie that is enjoyable for the holidays, and even any time of year.

Holiday inn#264

1. kelly says:

This is my most favorite Christmas film. You’re not the only one who swoons over Jimmy Stewart.
    My former penpal turned husband sent this to me in the Fall of 1995. On Christmas Day 1995 I flew from Boston to L.A. to meet him. He proposed that night and we were married a week later. We’re celebrating our 15th year anniversary this New Years Eve. The film means so much to me and my heart always skips a beat when someone mentions it.
    Any film directed by Lubitsch is worth watching but this one is my favorite!

2. Jackelyn says:

Jimmy Stewart is my husband

3. laura says:

Oh i love this film! Came across it by accident one year, but haven’t had chance to watch it again since. Jimmy Stewart rules.

4. allie says:

Oh, this is one of my most favorites! I love James Stewart! Looks like my grandfather :)

5. I think this is such a sweet story and I love this movie!

6. I have never seen this film but I am intrigued. I love old black and white films

7. Cheryl says:

I keep meaning to rent this since You’ve Got Mail is one of my go-to favorites. Maybe I’ll finally get around to it this week.

8. Julie says:

I am watching a Jimmy Stewart right now! Love him. I just watched “What a Wonderful World” with Jimmy and Claudette Colbert. So good!

9. Julie says:

Correction-the movie is called “It’s a Wonderful World”.

10. Kat says:

I love this movie! There is also a musical called “She Loves Me” that is based on this movie and is ADORABLE!

11. Kellie says:

i love this movie! i cant help but compare it with you’ve got mail…but both are so perfectly charming and i adore both!

12. amy j. says:

So funny, my husband I just watched this last week too. It was one of five old Christmas movies we watched. Loved it. So much better than You’ve Got Mail, lol.
    Jimmy Stewart. Sigh.

13. Amanda says:

I can’t remember when I watched this movie, but I do remember that I loved it. It was a perfect holiday movie (even though it wasn’t the holidays when I saw it). It’s one of those great “under the radar” kind of movies.

14. Um, Jimmy is MY love. :)
    Thanks for the reminder of this great film.
    And Kelly’s story – amazing!

15. Elle says:

I was going to tell you about the musical “She Loves Me” but apparently someone else already has seen it too!
    My University put it on a few years ago and it was fantastic!

16. Kristian says:

I’ve seen both The Good Old Summertime and You’ve Got Mail, but I’ve never seen all of the The Shop Around the Corner. Only parts. Clearly, this will need to be remedied.