Grey Skies Smilin’ at Me

December-7d

Four facts I discovered today:

• While snow may turn some people into grumpy scrooges, it makes me happy!
  • When putting together an outfit, pattern mixing is the most.
  • Wearing fun hats makes everyone I come across smile, including myself!
  • Hat pins and hairspray are necessities of life. Well, my life, at least.

December-7b

December-7

Pattern mixing is one of my favorite things to do, but it’s awfully tricky to pull of successfully. I think I’ve figured out that if one pattern is a neutral, it helps. Also, pairing bigger patterns with smaller ones as well as pairing busier patterns with subtler ones keeps an outfit from being overwhelmed.

I’ve already been thinking about my New Year’s resolution list, and I think pattern mixing might appear somewhere on there. :)

December-7c

December-7e

Outfit details:

Blouse, Dress, Trench: thrifted | Hat: Avenue Antiques (Canton, OH)
Gloves: Kohls 2008 | Shoes: Forever 21 2008 | Tights: Hue

1. Kat says:

I seriously think you are my fashion icon of the moment. Every outfit you do is perfection. I am so inspired.

2. Jenni says:

You look so cute here. I love the plaid and polka dots, and these pictures came out beautifully. I think you may have inspired me to wear one of my favorite fancy hats today! :D

3. Julie Kirk says:

I love your pattern combination – it’s one of my favourite parts of putting together an outfit. I always think it’s like dressing yourself in the equivalent of a patchwork quilt or scrapbook layout!
    I also love your tartan dress. I’ve been trying to make one sheet of Basic Grey JuneBug tartan paper last me for about 2 years now! So just today I ordered an October Afternoon version for when the Basic Grey finally runs out!
    :-)

4. Amy Morby says:

You are GORGEOUS! This has got to be my most favorite photo shoot of yours yet. You’re such an inspiration. I love it!

5. Phara says:

Pattern mixing is so much fun, as is wearing a hat.
    You look stunning!
    X

6. Stephanie says:

beautiful
    ps you would look stunning as a redhead

7. amanda says:

snow makes me happy too!!! only we don’t get that much :( but you are just so lovely in this. i’m not so great at pattern mixing, but i think i may just get myself a polka dot blouse to pair with some plaid. it’s perfect for the season!

8. Stacy B says:

These photos are beautiful. Just tremendous – the patterns, the hat, the snow, the icicles, the colors… and you look gorgeous. wow, wow, wow.

9. DearBeatrice says:

Love the polka dots with the plaid!

10. that is a phenomenal hat and I would definitely smile at the sight of it

11. futurelint says:

The pattern mixing is so inspirational! I love that shirt!

12. I do love your outfit posts. You inspire me to look for vintage hats. I would love to know how one uses a hat pin however. tutorial please? :)

13. gee says:

plaid and polka dots!!!
    you are amazing.
    i love this outfit.
    you inspire me so so much.
    xoox

14. Great pattern mixing there. Love your lip colour too.

15. Erin says:

perfect outfit! You’ve done it again!
    xx

16. Shy says:

WOW! this might be my fav of pattern mixing. I’m not at that point with my style I dont think where I can comfortably pull it off. You are definitely convincing me to try it more!!
    Shy

17. emily says:

that polka dot shirt is amazing. in the photos it looks very 1920s. what a great gem in the wardrobe, and love the hat!

18. Missa says:

I love how the icicles frame these photos, so cute! Also, your plaid/polka dot combo is indeed, spot on, har har. Seriously though, awesome pattern mix!

19. Caitlin says:

i love this–perfectly mixed patterns :) i agree, pattern-mixing is best when one pattern is neutral. i love snow, but i am rather anti-cold. makes it tricky…

20. I love the dark dark hair!!! looks fantastic! your outfits are always amazing and beautiful!!

21. Moorea Seal says:

These are some of my favorite photos of you! I’ve been following your blog for awhile, and you just look fabulous in these colors and the shape of the dress and the coat. Gorgeous!
    <3 Moorea Seal

22. Leslie says:

This outfit is heaven on earth.

23. Patty says:

The last image of you in this post is gorgeous!! Love it and love your style.

24. Jeanee says:

This outfit is divine!
    Hat and coat is killer!
    And I would have never paired that polka dot shirt with the plaid, but it works so well together!
    KUDOS ^.^

25. Katie says:

Love this! Such a beautiful outfit. And the hat is incredibly lovely, too. :-)

26. I absolutely LOVE the plaid with the polkadot pattern. It’s…. it’s just making my brain explode. So great!

27. Kim says:

oh mandi,
    i wish we were friends in real life. [: