Movie Monday- Mixed Nuts

Mixed nuts#248

I suppose I may be taking a bit of a gamble by recommending this movie to you all, considering the last time I watched this with friends, they were all confused as to why I was ranting and raving about how amazing it is. (Actually, looking back, I’m not really friends with those people any more…. heh)

Mixed nuts is, well, a really nutty comedy with a crazy plot that takes place all in one day. I’ll even go out on a limb and admit that it is currently my very favorite holiday movie.

Mixed nuts#260

Mixed nuts#272

If I tried to explain the series of events, they might seem strange and unrelated to you. Until you get to the end of the movie, that is. So please excuse my shabby synopsis! :)

The main setting of the movie is at an LA apartment based non-profit business called Life Savers. Three people sit around answering phone calls of people who are depressed, lonely, and may even want to kill themselves.

Mixed nuts#256

Mixed nuts#262

Going against policy, two of the Life Savers workers give out their address because a certain man was so lonely that Christmas Eve, he simply had to talk to someone in person. He, of course, was an eccentric cross-dressing man, who one of the workers is afraid might be the sea-side-strangler, who has been terrorizing their LA neighborhood.

Mixed nuts#298

Mixed nuts#316

The varied cast brings you along on their wacky day, with plenty of hilarious moments and “Christmas miracles.” It’s a fun movie (even the opening credits are giggle inducing!) that I enjoy watching at least once each holiday season, and always makes for a happy evening.

Mixed nuts#325

1. Brynna says:

Ahhhh! I LOVE this movie! I kind of thought I was the only one that had ever heard of it. Anytime I told a friend how awesome it was they had no idea what I was talking about. I’m going to have to watch that one right away!

2. Tish says:

Thanks for sharing! This looks hilarious in a strange, odd kind of way that I like. And it’s full of comedic actors that I love!
    I’m so glad you’re doing Christmas movies for your Movie Mondays this month. I’m a big cinephile and I’m writing about all the Christmas movies I’m watching on my blog. And I’m always looking for more movies to watch, so keep ‘em coming!

3. Kelci says:

Oh my goodness! My family loves this movie. Definitely underappreciated. So, so funny :)

4. Thanks! I’ll give this one a go!

5. EmilyAnne says:

This might be the one holiday movie I can get my husband to watch with me. I’ll need to look for it at the movie place by my house tomorrow.

6. BellaKarma says:

Sounds like my kind of holiday movie! Just added it to Netflix. =)

7. Elle Jane says:

Um, these pictures are enough to make me want to watch this desperately!

8. Never heard of this film. interesting!

9. teeny says:

Is that Liev Shrieber (spell)? Looks like I’m going to have to watch this.

10. Mandi says:

Yes, it TOTALLY is Liev Schreiber. Crazy and hilarious! haha

11. Sienna says:

Such a good movie and Jon Stewart as one of the roller bladers!!!

12. Holly says:

As per your suggestion, I netflixed the movie and we watched it tonight. Thanks! It is now going to be the movie I recommend to people for the holidays…in so many ways it was surprising and hilarious. And the cast-they were awesome. Thanks for sharing, it was great!

13. angela says:

my absolute favorite christmas movie! i can’t believe other people love it like i do. in my best adam sandler voice…”i love grape jelly”!

14. Fanny says:

This is an adaptation of a French film by Jean-Marie Poire “Le P?re No?l est une ordure”, 1982. In France it’s a cult film !
    I Like your blog.

15. anoushka says:

looks good i must search it out!