The Art of Making a Paper Snowflake

As I discovered last week during my snowflake making party, making the little dandies isn’t as easy as it seems, and not everybody knows how to wield their scissors in creating their own paper snowflakes. So, I thought it might be helpful to do a quick photo-series to help you figure it out, if you’re running into trouble making your own.

Start with a square piece of paper, thin enough to cut through several layers at once. I used marker paper for the banner you see above, mostly for its translucent quality, but also for ease of snipping.

The next part is where it can all go wrong if you aren’t careful. Fold the paper in half, then in half again, and fold it two more times- but be sure you keep folding it on the same axis, or things will go terribly awry when you go to unfold your snowflake at the end!

Alright, so if you have folded your paper correctly, it should look something like this. You could trim off the uneven edge, or just delve right into cutting the sides of the paper at this point.

When you are cutting the designs into the sides of your folded paper, make sure you leave a space on the folded side in between where you are cutting and the top edge (at some point). Otherwise, nothing will hold it together when you unfold it.

Voila! They aren’t perfect, but neither is any real snowflake, right? And when hanging them in a bunch, nobody will notice. Hope that helped ease any paper-snowflake-making angst you might have had, and if I might suggest, having a little get together with friends, warm drinks, and Christmas movies makes an excellent evening for producing lots of these little guys. :)

1. Chaucee says:

I’ve never done it this way before and they turned out really good – I’ll have to give it a go!

2. JenCoen says:

Thank you for posting this! My babes and I made snowflakes last year… and it was a paper mess! Frustration and tears… not exactly the memory I wanted to create, so this is REALLY helpful! We’re a year older, so perhaps we can give it another go!! :-)

3. Sarah says:

My husband and I had planned on making paper snowflakes this weekend, so you couldn’t have shared this at a more perfect time. So helpful! Thank you!

4. Jessica says:

Ahhhh…perfect! You are the best! Trying it right now. I will have to do a post of my finished products and give you all the glory.
    Thanks!!!!!

5. Jenni says:

I’m gonna have to do this… the apartment isn’t looking quite as Christmassy as I’d like it, and this is a good cheap way to solve that problem!

6. Ashley says:

Thanks for the tutorial…I’m definitely going to make some of these little lovelies this weekend!

7. Lindsey says:

thank you soo much for this post! i need to make about a million of these for my upcoming christmas party. these look so pretty!

8. Becky says:

Thanks!! Adding this to my ‘To Do’ list for tomorrow!

9. Thanks for the tips!! I am pretty lame on the snowflake making. You post with your outfits are so cute, can I have your wardrobe pleaaase!!?
    xo

10. katrina says:

these snowflakes are gorgeous! thank you so much for sharing your technique. i’ve been inspired to make a snowflake garland now. :)

11. This is so helpful!
    But unfortunately where I live Christmas is in summer, so I dont think I’ll be making these. Come winter though…

12. corrina says:

Thank you kindly! The night before you posted this I was neck deep in paper snowflake fail and deeply frustrated. I’m so glad I can now revisit the project with confidence.
    P.S. Drooling over every single one of these Xmas posts. EVERY SINGLE ONE!

13. Patty says:

So pretty. I usually make them every year, I have to find a day to do them this year. I love how you put them on clear fishing line to make garland. Love it:)

14. Kyla Roma says:

Such a cute tutorial! And your scissors are all kinds of amazing, love them!

15. Theresa says:

You make lovely snowflakes! My sister and I have been making them every year since we were small and have gotten quite good but I have witnessed how frustrating it can be to someone making their first paper snowflake! I am providing white paper for snowflake making at a “crafternoon” I am hosting this Saturday. We will see how people do :)

16. vee says:

they are perfect!!

17. I think I’m going to have to try this. My boys would be amazed if they had snowflakes throughout the house to say, “WOW!” to. They are too little to cut their own (one is just learning how to properly use scissors over the past few months and still holds them upside down but he is having fun anyway)

18. I totally need this tutorial!! I’m doing a penguin shower in Jan. and this will be PERFECT! Thanks for sharing. xx

19. Jenn Ross says:

Who knew there was a method to making these great looking snowflakes…can’t wait to try it!

20. Linda says:

I have a book of making snowflakes I’d like to send you. Send me your address and I’ll put in the mail immediately. You’ll love it.

21. Jessica Sue says:

I really want to do this! I’m hoping to find time in my busy schedule (work 7 days a week, yipe!) to do this. I looove making paper snowflakes.

22. Anonymous says:

Fantastic article. I positive will use it on my website