The Angry Working Woman and the Brick Wall

November-10d

I have more self-portrait adventures to share with you! I know you are so excited, right? :) So, I was sitting at the coffee shop with my friend, when I realized the sun was setting and I hadn’t taken an outfit photo, as I had intended.

“I’ll be right back,” I said. “Gotta go take pictures of myself.” He chuckled at me, and I wandered down a neighboring ally, armed with my tripod and camera, intending to quickly take a few photos and head back to the cafe’s sidewalk.

November-10

Well, after I had taken the above photo, a women walked out of the building and persisted to stare at me as I pretended to adjust my camera on its tripod. (I wasn’t about to press the self-timer and preen for the camera as she was watching me! Duh!) But she just kept standing there, gaping at me, and I continued fiddling away with my camera settings.

November-10g

November-10f

“Can I help you?” she impatiently asked.

“Nope,” I said, smiling nicely and expecting her to walk away.

Of course, she didn’t walk away. But rather she stood there for another moment before informing me that everyone was leaving for the day. “Okay,” I said, politely smiling. But she still stood there, my charming smile unable to melt her icy demeanor.

“Do you have permission to take photos here?” she asked, snidely placing her hands upon her hips.

“Uh, no. It’s a brick wall. I didn’t know I needed permission to take a photo of it.” Uh-oh. Sarcasm is slipping out of my mouth, and I don’t think the smile is compensating for it…

“So, you didn’t ask the owner’s permission to take photos of the building?”

For real? For REAL? It’s a wall. “Ummmm… I just needed a brick wall to be in the background of some portraits I’m taking of myself. This seemed like a nice enough brick wall. Sooo… no. No permission has been obtained.”

She huffed, she puffed, and she walked inside the brick walls of the building. And I moved to the other side where she couldn’t see me any more. Crazy lady. Why can’t we all just nicely let young people with cameras take photos of brick walls in peace? Sigh.

November-10b

P.S. Here is what I wore on the same day last year!

Outfit details:

dress: Etsy vintage | blouse: thrifted | (thrifted half slip worn underneath dress)
belt: thrifted | tights: 1980s hand-me-down from Ma | shoes: thrifted

November-10c

1. Sydney says:

i love the lace dress with the red tights. and i definitely know the ‘fiddle with the camera settings’ trick…i used that one today! i can’t believe that woman was so rude, surely it’s perfectly acceptable to take pictures against a wall! anyway, the pictures turned out lovely, so the fight wasn’t for nothing :)

2. gee says:

how rude.
    i guess she was having a bad day.
    people need to chill. :)
    i love the lace dress. so beautiful.
    i am very impressed that those tights have survived for so long.
    you look beautiful as always…
    xoox

3. Amy says:

hilarious. I hate people like that. Just mellow out, man. Just mellow out.
    Of course, the outfit is outlandishly fabulous. I LOVE the maroon tights with the lace dress. Lovely lovely. As always.

4. anika says:

sorry that lady gave you such a hard time. sounds like you handled yourself really well, and the photos were definitely worth it! the light was really lovely, and you look great!

5. Chaucee says:

You are one brave lady! & You look so calm in all the pictures – no one can tell a crazy old lady was staring you down.
    Ah, people these days.
    Ps – Great outfit, like always.
    : )

6. Oh dear! People can be so funny. I love the outfit.
    x

7. Amy says:

Love this outfit and hate people like that! When I’m trying to take photos I get idiots trying to talk to me or laughing at me. SO rude, why can’t they just walk off and think it to themselves. Love the brick wall though, looks great with your tights! x

8. Jessica says:

I have been waiting for someone to be rude to me like that….I know its going to happen.
    I have definitely done the fiddle with camera thing. Most people are nice and say something like “did you get a good one?”. I’m like “yeahhhh….now you can leave please!”

9. I can understand needing permission for the inside of a building with taking photos, but definitely not the outside. that’s odd. There is a little 50s ice cream shoppe where I eat sometimes and I took photos of myself inside there over the summer, but that’s because they always love my outfits and kept begging me to do so. I never heard of someone needing permission to photograph an outside of a building though at all before. that is just so weird to me. I would have probably reacted the same way you did.
    Lovely shots by the way.

10. I can understand needing permission for the inside of a building with taking photos, but definitely not the outside. that’s odd. There is a little 50s ice cream shoppe where I eat sometimes and I took photos of myself inside there over the summer, but that’s because they always love my outfits and kept begging me to do so. I never heard of someone needing permission to photograph an outside of a building though at all before. that is just so weird to me. I would have probably reacted the same way you did.
    Lovely shots by the way.

11. Jennie says:

people are so silly about things like that! Can I just say: HOW, did you and your mother both keep tights in working order since the 80s?!?! I consistently get runs or snags or what-have-yous in my tights.

12. Sue says:

Why can’t people stop meddling into other’s business!??? Good grief! You handled it exactly the way I would have. Glad that you stood up to that crazy bitch (sorry, can’t call her a lady). Your outfit is lovely and the brick wall backdrop is perfect!

13. Ginny says:

She’s mad cuz she’s old super grump-face and you’re young and cute. The end.

14. Alexa says:

I can’t believe this!! :O Rudeness!

15. kennedy says:

oh my gosh girl, that is the best dress ive seen in a long time. your photos and outfits are always inspiring <3

16. heidi says:

For the record, [at least, what I was told in my journalism days] if anyone gives you grief like that again, you can assure them that it’s perfectly legal to take photos anywhere as long as it is in a public place [i.e. sidewalk, road, etc.]
    some people are so uptight.

17. Phara says:

I love that lace dress.
    It can be so difficult to take pictures of yrself outside. :) I know the feeling.

18. andrea says: