Movie Monday: Peggy Sue Got Married

Screen shot 2010-10-06 at 2.20.36 AM

Synopsis? Girly version of Back to the Future. Sort of. Peggy, who has just split up from her husband (played by Nicholas Caige. More on that later) faints at her highschool reunion, blasting her back in time to her senior year of high school. She suddenly finds herself in a world of grey, yellow, pink, aqua, and red.

Screen shot 2010-10-06 at 2.39.44 AM

Screen shot 2010-10-06 at 2.45.49 AM

Screen shot 2010-10-06 at 2.49.09 AM

Faced with the possibility for a do-over of her younger days, Peggy Sue has to decide if she really wants to be with her future husband, or chase after the artsy track star. She also deals with the frustrations often met by women who travel back in time. (Like, duh.) Lack of freedom, and immaturity in her relationships.

Screen shot 2010-10-06 at 2.52.53 AM

Screen shot 2010-10-06 at 2.53.32 AM

Screen shot 2010-10-06 at 3.06.23 AM

I thought it was kind of funny, and actually charming, how Francis Ford Coppola drew from the color schemes so often seen in movies from the 50s. The move was a bit cliche, I suppose. But it made for a beautiful view, and since the whole movie is supposed to be in a sort of dream sequence, I think it worked out quite well.

Screen shot 2010-10-06 at 3.07.55 AM

Screen shot 2010-10-06 at 3.13.45 AM

Screen shot 2010-10-06 at 3.14.00 AM

Now. The reason I waited so long to watch this movie? Nicholas Caige. I’m sorry for any Nick fans out there, but I find that he ruins most movies (Matchstick Men aside) he’s in. However, in Peggy Sue Got Married, he’s actually supposed to play the guy you love to hate- therefore enhancing the mood of the film, instead of detracting from it. The movie isn’t earth shatteringly awesome, but I thought it was a fun film, and a pleasant way to pass an evening at home.

Screen shot 2010-10-06 at 3.23.04 AM

Screen shot 2010-10-06 at 3.24.46 AM

1. Cheryl says:

I used to love that movie when I was little!

2. hey! I found your site using Typepad’s recommendations. Looks fabulous! I hope to get inspired by your vintage loving. <3

3. Julia says:

I don’t remember having ever watched this movie and your little review made me want to see it now! :)

4. Hannah B. says:

Omg! I’ve loved this movie since I was little just because of the plaid ‘pedal pushers’ (as my momma called them!) :D

5. Quincy says:

One of my favs ever!

6. kortnee b. says:

This was one of my favorite movies when I was a little girl. I was too young to really understand the plot – but I just loved the music and the clothes!

7. kate says:

Totally a wonderful movie – but I seem to like all of Kathleen Turner’s films. And I totally agree with your Nicolas Caige comment…

8. I was just introduced to this movie the other evening and I was pleasantly surprised. Loved the styling of course, but Nicholas Caige kind of annoyed me with that AWFUL voice he spoke in as he was young. Hahaha, it actually made me laugh a lot, all in all a great little flick to have on in the background during a craft night!
    Love your blog!!

9. tiff says:

oh my gosh, this was one of my favorite movies when i was little! love love love it. it’s just so fun!

10. yey. I thought this was a cute one. Some things here and there I didn’t really care for but I loved it otherwise!!!! so sweet.

11. Cynthia says:

I have not visited in ions!!!!!!! Oh gosh this is one of my fave movies. As I kid I would watch over and over:) Thanks for reminding me. Love all the posts I am catching up on:)

12. Kim says:

where do you find these films to watch them??? I can never find classic old films like this at my local video store…
    fill me in.

13. Mandi says:

Hey Kim, every single movie that I post about on here is viewed on netflix. Seriously… the best thing ever. There are a lot of movies available. Some of them even streaming live. :)