On Taking Photos. Of Oneself.

October-13c

One of the most awkward parts of having a personal fashion blog is capturing the images each week. Lugging around the tripod, searching for new and interesting backdrops, getting the camera to focus on the right thing, and the trickiest of all- bystanders!

October-13

On this particular day, I wandered behind a building in not the nicest part of town, set up my tripod and got ready to just get it done and be gone. For starters, a man came out of his house, stood in his front yard, and just sat there smoking and staring at me. Awkward! And as if that wasn’t enough, a man came out of a neighboring building to get his cigarettes and proclaimed how happy he was that he had forgotten his cigs, lest he missed such a sight. Three other guys followed, with awkward, if not crass, remarks and half hearted attempted at making conversation.

“If anyone bothers you, just let me know! I’ll take care of ’em!” Ummm… you, sir. You are bothering me.

October-13b

So yes. Personal fashion blogging can be a tricky situation at times. And don’t worry mom, I can hold my own. And at least you can take this to heart: I don’t take photos at night. ;)

October-13d

Outfit details:

dress: Coming soon to Fine & Dandy! | tights: Hue | shoes: UO 09
scarf: thrifted | hat: Avenue Antiques (Canton, OH)

1. danielle thompson says:

every time i see a new outfit, i think it’s my fav. You are truly gifted at putting together looks! (and i’m feeling guilty that i’m glad you’re selling that dress!! crossing fingers :D

2. i hear you! Kudos to you for being brave and going to a public place. I need to get over the fear.
    These photos are beautiful. Well worth the fight!

3. Amanda says:

I didn’t realize you took most of them yourself. You do a great job!

4. Sally Jane says:

I hate when that happens! I always seem to have an audience when I’m out taking photos. It’s the worst!

5. Jena says:

I was very surprised to hear that you photograph yourself. They are fantastic always! You are such a huge inspiration for me and so many others!

6. Katie says:

Hahha – I took a few pictures in downtown Chicago a few weeks ago and TOURISTS stopped at stared at me!
    And that dress! Vera cute.

7. veronika says:

my husband takes my pictures (which might be a tad less odd than taking them yourself, i guess) and we still get SO many stares. we’ve had people stand across the street for 5+ minutes just watching. it’s really, really creepy.

8. DearBeatrice says:

you are so brave! I still haven’t mustered the courage to take photos by myself of myself in public places. Your photos turned out so beautiful with all those colors. Also you look really cute, love what you’re wearing!! ^,^

9. Chaucee says:

As long as you have that tripod you’re good! Just pick it up and wack at any men coming at ya :D
    But I know what you mean about the whole awkward situation. I’m pretty amazing at how well you do your self photos! What camera are you using?

10. Jenni says:

Haha… “You sir. You are bothering me.” Hilarious. You are a brave woman. Love the dress, especially with the tights!

11. What a marvelously lovely outfit! The colors are so perfect, as is the collar on that dress. Swooooon.
    xo,
    Ashley

12. krista says:

I think these are the best you have done! The outfit, the colors, it’s all fabulous!!!

13. rose says:

ha…eek…awkward! i kinda feel like a little turtle trying to get back into it’s shell when people notice me taking photos. gotta start taking some of your bravery tips! hehe

14. ALL my pictures end up being shot in my backyard. Isn’t it funny that we love attention online (it’s why we post the images in the first place) but when one person stops and stares, it’s weird?
    I LOVE your outfit combinations! I feel like I can buy all these beautiful pieces individually, but I never know how to put them together so beautifully! You should do a blog about how you piece together something so gorgeous…

15. Jessie says:

I really admire bloggers who take their own outfit shots. I can only imagine how hard it much be when you can’t see what is on the camera display as you take the photo! At the moment my partner takes my photos, but it can be a real hassle to coordinate each other to go and do a shoot. For this reason I think I need to enter uncharted territory and purchase a tripod to take them myself!
    Your photos look stunning :)

16. he he – love this post, Mandi! I often wonder. I do not yet have the courage to do this, but I can hope to work up to it one day. This reminds me of the skeezy part of town I work in with the lovely old walls but creepy homeless dudes leering everywhere…lol. That wall (and your lovely outfit) are to-die-for! :)

17. I think these are some of the prettiest pictures you’ve taken. The colors are beautiful and so are you!

18. Chelsea says:

Oh man. That’s so freaking awkward… I seriously cannot make myself go out and do my own photos in a public place. I always make my husband come with me and take them! I mean, what do you say? Do you make conversation? Do you ask them to go away? Do you just leave? Soooo uncomfortable…