Movie Monday- A Room with a View

Screen shot 2010-07-10 at 6.28.11 PM

Broodingly romantic young men, stolen glances, achingly beautiful scenery, and an awkwardly snobby Daniel Day Lewis all gave this movie a place on my all-time favorite movies list. Add a dose of improbable romance, and it’s just earned a place in my top five. Sigh. Why did I wait so long to watch this gem of a movie?

Screen shot 2010-07-10 at 5.59.33 PM

Screen shot 2010-07-10 at 6.39.23 PM

Mind you, all this raving is coming from a girl who was weaned on Anne of Green Gables and Sarah Plain and Tall. I happen to enjoy a good period piece, particularly from the early 20th Century. Bustles, parasols, and men who tip their hats all set my heart a flutter.

Screen shot 2010-07-10 at 6.00.30 PM

Screen shot 2010-07-10 at 6.00.05 PM

Screen shot 2010-07-10 at 6.19.50 PM

A Room with a View is not only terribly romantic and beautiful, but I caught myself laughing out loud on several occasions. Humorous indeed. Oh, just go watch it yourself. Please. And if you’re smart enough to have seen it before, well, for goodness sake, go watch it again! ;)

Screen shot 2010-07-10 at 6.32.16 PM

Screen shot 2010-07-10 at 6.16.19 PM

Screen shot 2010-07-10 at 6.56.21 PM

….Oh, and I would like to briefly add that the men’s fashion in this movie is just fantastic. I wish Phil dressed like this. Like, every day. That would be splendid. Okay, now go watch it. I’m off to convince my mother to watch it with me again. Romantic movies are better enjoyed in the company of other hopeless romantic souls, you see.

Screen shot 2010-07-10 at 6.50.59 PM

1. Amber Lee D. says:

This movie is on my top 5! I watch it regularly and yes, you can’t beat the scenery, fashion or the romance. I also have the soundtrack. The music is beautiful! Great Choice for today’s Movie Monday!

2. this was such an interesting romantic tale! I liked this one!! I agree that it was gorgeous! I laughed too. hhhehehe

3. Katie says:

From the first still, I thought it WAS Anne of Green Gables! I will definitely have to check this one out.

4. Emily says:

This is one of my top favorites too! The scenery is soo lush.

5. gee says:

i LOOOOOOVE this movie.

6. esther jane says:

i love love love love love LOVE this movie!! my b.f.f. and i watched it over and over in high school. oh my, it’s been too long since i’ve seen it. thanks for reminding me!

7. Julia says:

I love the character of George, the male lead. In the book, he tells the female lead, Eleanor: “But I do love you–surely in a better way than he [her controlling fiance] does . . . Yes–really in a better way. I want you to have your own thoughts even when I hold you in my arms” (ch. XVI). I think he says this in the movie too, non?

8. Suzy8track says:

I adore this film! So glad to see it being reviewed on Movie Monday!

9. Erin says:

I can’t wait to go rent it now!

10. Brooke says:

I am a period piece junkie! And this is in my top favs, I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one… my husband constantly tells me I was born in the wrong century. The book is also amazing!

11. jac says:

ooo, one of my favorite films. i just hold my breath and sigh all the wall through. and hbc is my very favorite actress ever! i agree, the scenes, costumes and storyline are so very romantic and inspiring. have you read the book? it’s beautiful.

12. Textaroma says:

Yes indeed, it is terrific film.
    Cheers from Berlin, unfortunatelly not Florence ;-)